Thursday, March 29, 2012

Concert Review: Housse de Racket

Every time I go to recommend a band to the masses I run into an internal conflict.

Given my future profession, do I simply prescribe it, like Dr. Neumusik? "Take two tracks each morning after breakfast. Call me if experiencing indigestion as a side effect." To the point..but seems a little paternalistic.

And why should you trust me and my taste? (That's rhetorical - it's perfect). But really, how do you know where this new musical delight fits into your palette? And in respect of your palette, palate and puns, perhaps I should give you a recipe:

1 part This Band + 2 parts This Singer + 1 dash 80's Hair

Really, I wish we could all share the experience of discovering a new great act live together. And we should when possible. But often when not, Youtube will have to suffice.


SO.....since I'm indecisive and diplomatic, I'll give you all of the above.

Last night, I was randomly invited by a long-lost friend to a show at The Magic Stick in Detroit. It was completely out of the blue, a "school night" and I had never heard of any of the bands playing........so naturally, I went.


I showed up in time for the second opener, Sevens Birds One Stone, who were simply put fun incarnate. Their jazzy-jamming, dual male-female lead vocals, with gang vocals abound had everyone head-bobbing, smiling and doing their best spinning-hippie-dance. I will definitely be checking out these folks live again...and again.......and again.


Now on to the main event.

My friend, who clued me in to this night of shenanigans, happens to be French. And so were the headliners.

The band of the night, Housse de Racket, are a two-man outfit. Now, I like danceable rock and have been known to dabble in the electronic music. These guys served up an invigorating mélange of both.

I know they probably hate comparisons to other bands - and trust me their sonic signature is distinctly awesome and their own - but this may help give you an idea of their sound:

1 part Phoenix + 1 part Two Door Cinema Club + a smidgeon Pink Floyd + your super-cool high school French teacher


Through looping synths, guitars and some backing tracks, these fellas had the whole place shaking and everyone dancing their derrières off.

And I'm talking that totally shameless, uninhibited, one-man rave, dancing in front of the mirror alone type dancing. It was magnifique.


SO.......in closing check out this video clip of their tune, "Roman" off their new album, Alesia. Try to ignore the creepy, maskface, muppet-doll judge.

Apply Housse de Racket to ears and sensitive areas PRN. Take with lots of water.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! you left for Lansing right after the show, attended a lecture at 8am, had this review already posted by 8:52am. When exactly do you sleep?

    ReplyDelete